WEST POINT SOCIETY OF DENVER
Board of Directors Meeting
MINUTES OF MEETING – Wednesday, May 6, 2020
Meeting conducted remotely via Zoom
1. Call to order – Brian MacDonald at 11:30 AM
a. Fourteen voting board members in attendance, making a quorum.
b. Board members attending: Katie Wilson, Dave Jackson, Brian MacDonald, Bob Walcott, Steve Best, Joel Martin, Sam Thiessen, Lindy Blackburn, Chad Dalton, Cory Wroblewski, Andy Benson, Lou Schroeder, Mike Euperio, Tim Griesmer
c. Guest: Guy Higgins, USNA
2. The board welcomed Katie Wilson ’16 as its newest member.
3. Election of officers- Bob Walcott
a. The following slate of officers was nominated to serve from May 2020 until the next election.
i. President: Joel Martin
ii. First Vice President: Steve Best
iii. Vice President-Admissions: Kevin Miller
iv. Treasurer: Brian MacDonald
v. Secretary: Tim Griesmer
b. The board approved the nominations on a vote of 14-0.
4. Secretary’s Report/Approval of Minutes – Tim Griesmer
a. Minutes from the January 28, 2020 annual planning meeting were approved 14-0.
b. Minutes from the February 6, 2020 board of directors meeting were approved 14-0.
c. Tim Griesmer provided the board with an update on the Distinguished Society application.
5. 2020 Society Budget – Brian MacDonald
a. Brian MacDonald reviewed the proposed 2020 budget.
b. The 2020 budget was approved 14-0.
6. Treasurer’s Report – Brian MacDonald
a. Treasurer’s report was presented and approved 14-0.
7. Membership Update – Brian MacDonald
a. The board decided to delay the scheduled increase in lifetime membership fees due to the COVID pandemic.
b. Brian MacDonald led an orientation of Sallyport and the Society’s new website. Society leadership is pushing the use of Sallyport, and all board members are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the platform and update their individual profiles.
c. The board members agree that we need to do a better job of publishing death notifications and Sallyport can be a useful tool in doing so.
8. Leadership and Ethics Seminar – Joel Martin. The seminar is cancelled for 2020 due to the COVID pandemic. Our recommendation/nomination of General Casey as a Friend of West Point has been approved by AOG. The award will be presented at a future event.
9. Founders Day 2021 will be held on Saturday, March 13, 2021.
10. The 2020 Tri-Service Golf Tournament is still pending a go/no go decision.
11. Baseball outings for 2020 are still pending a go/no go decision.
12. Young grad engagement events for this summer are still pending a go/no go decision.
13. Other announcements
a. Lindy Blackburn is working to help plan the Parker Memorial Day ceremony.
b. Steve Best is working to help plan the Ft. Logan Cemetery Memorial Day ceremony.
The next board meeting will be held July 15, 2020 at 11:30 AM. The meeting will either be virtual or will be held at Piccolo’s Restaurant, 3563 S Monaco Pkwy, Denver, CO 80237
The meeting adjourned at 1:00 PM.
Submitted by: Tim Griesmer ‘02